There are many opportunities in our everyday lives where we can add more yoga. Yoga is not just the physical practice on the mat, but it’s also who we are off the mat too! Here are 10 ways to incorporate the mental practice of yoga in your life:
1. Practice deep breathing when you’re on the train, stuck in traffic in your car, or doctor’s office. Place your hand on your lower stomach so you can connect deeper to your own breath and body, close your eyes and take deep breaths through the nose and into the belly. Breathe deeply.
2. Meditate on a plane, train or bus while travelling.
3. Practice peace, compassion and love; not only towards others, but to yourself as well. You can't be a loving, happy, healthy person if you don’t love yourself first. Be compassionate towards yourself even when you can’t quite accomplish that hard yoga pose (yet), practice one that feels right for your body and modify when needed!
4. When standing in line at the grocery store think of three things that you're grateful for. Express gratitude (whether verbally or mentally) before eating. Allow this to become a habit; it will help you cultivate gratitude in your life.
5. Practice Utthanasana (Standing Forward Fold) when you feel stressed. Utthanasana calms anxiety and brings more oxygen and nutrients to the brain.
6. Practice Viparita Karani (Legs Up the Wall pose) after exercise, work, or after sitting for extended periods. This pose has many benefits including regulating blood flow, calming anxiety, relieving head and back aches; just to name a few.
7. Eat for health, not for weight loss. Nourishing our bodies with healthy, wholesome food is essential for wellness and vitality. Incorporate more plant-based food in your diet like beans, lentils, nuts and grains. Eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables along with healthy fats.
8. Counterbalance your daily activities. For example, do a chest opener after spending time on a computer, writing, or driving; most of our daily routines involve slumped shoulders and rounding of the back. Open your chest by practicing back-bends daily.
9. Practice inversions every day. Inversions are great for your health! Remember you don’t have to do fancy inversions like handstands, you can practice something as simple as Legs Up the Wall pose or even Child’s pose after a long day.
10. Be in the moment: turn off your phone, computer, or television and be open to the present moment. Spend some time (maybe a day) completely unplugged from the electronic world.
All 20 Minute Yoga Practice 30 Minute Sequence 30-minute Sequence 45 Minute Yin Yoga 8 Limbs Of Yoga Acroyoga Advanced Yoga Poses Ashtanga Yoga Ayurveda Balancing Yoga Poses Beginner Yoga Beginner Yoga Poses Bhakti Yoga Breathing In Yoga Chakras Chants Dosha Evening Yoga Practice Gentle Yoga Hatha Yoga Hatha Yoga Sequence Hip Openers History Of Yoga Holiday Yoga Poses Home Yoga Insomnia Intermediate Yoga Poses Learning Sanskrit Lotus Pose Mantras Meditation Meditation For Beginners Meditation For Children Meditation For Sleep Mindful Exercises Moon Salutations Morning Yoga Om Mantra Partner Yoga Patañjali Pillars Of Yoga Practice Of Yoga Practicing Mindfulness Pranayama Prenatal Yoga Restorative Yoga Setting An Intention Shoulder Openers Styles Of Yoga Sun Salutations Surya Namaskar A Traveling Yogi Types Of Yoga Ujjayi Breathing Vacation Wrist Pain Yama And Niyama Yin Yoga Yin Yoga Poses Yoga And Meditation Yoga At Work Yoga Benefits Yoga Blocks Yoga Breathing Yoga Class Yoga Diet Yoga Etiquette Yoga Exercise Yoga For A Cold Yoga For Adrenal Fatigue Yoga For Arms Yoga For Arthritis Yoga For Babies Yoga For Baby Yoga For Back Pain Yoga For Beginners Yoga For Better Posture Yoga For Fertility Yoga For Glowing Skin Yoga For Hamstrings Yoga For Health Yoga For Heartburn Yoga For Insomnia Yoga For Lower Blood Pressure Yoga For Men Yoga For New Parents Yoga For Pain Yoga For Seniors Yoga For Shoulders Yoga For Spine Yoga For Stress Yoga For Stress Relief Yoga For The Ankles Yoga For Two Yoga For Women Yoga For Wrist Pain Yoga Injuries Yoga Inversions Yoga Mats Yoga Nidra Yoga Poses Yoga Poses For Beginners Yoga Poses For Men Yoga Questions Yoga Retreats Yoga Sequence Yoga & Spirituality Yoga Sutras Yoga Tips Yoga To Relax Yoga Travel