Yoga has been proven to relieve stress by using exercises that unify the mind, body, and spirit. If you are new to yoga, these seven tips will start you on the road to a more centered life.
1. Talk to your doctor and explain what type of yoga you intend to practice. Show your doctor pictures of some poses for illustration. Your doctor may rule out specific poses if you have high blood pressure, glaucoma, a history of retinal detachment, or heart disease. Make sure you follow your doctor’s recommendations.
2. Find a yoga class that best fits your abilities. Talk to prospective teachers, and decide whether or not you can handle a program before you sign up. It’s very important to take it one step at a time. Try a few beginner classes before you attempt more vigorous classes.
3. Listen to your body and be aware of your physical abilities. You don’t want to hurt yourself. Make sure the instructor understands your level of experience and any limitations you may have. Don’t allow anyone to push you ahead too quickly. Remember, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing.
4. If you can’t find a class that meets your needs, practice yoga at home. There are many books and online resources available to help you get started. Search for the best products on the Internet and read reviews. Talk to other yoga students for recommendations.
5. Try private yoga lessons: you can schedule one-on-one sessions with a yoga teacher in your area or even online via Skype. Most yoga instructors offer private classes or can help you design your own program. This is a good way to get started. You can always take group lessons or practice at home after you’ve had private lessons and learned the basics.
6. Find a yoga buddy. It’s nice to practice with someone and it will help reduce injuries. It’s also a great way to keep up your enthusiasm and interest.
7. Eat lightly before practice. Wait at least two hours after meals before yoga class or practice. An empty stomach is best, but don’t let yourself get too hungry to think. You won’t be able to focus on the poses or enjoy yourself during the relaxation or meditation exercises.
Now go grab your mat and a towel and get the most out of your yoga practice.
All 108 In Yoga 20 Minute Yoga Practice 30 Minute Sequence 30-minute Sequence 45 Minute Yin Yoga 8 Limbs Of Yoga Acroyoga Advanced Yoga Poses Arm Balances Ashtanga Yoga Ayurveda Baby Boomer Yoga Balancing Yoga Poses Bandhas Beginner Yoga Beginner Yoga Poses Benefits Of Yoga Bhakti Yoga B.K.S. Iyengar Breathing In Yoga Chakra Meditation Chakras Chants Dosha Evening Yoga Practice Gentle Yoga Hatha Yoga Hatha Yoga Sequence Hip Openers History Of Yoga Holiday Yoga Holiday Yoga Poses Home Yoga Inner Peace Insomnia Intense Side Stretch Pose Intermediate Yoga Poses Iyengar Quotes Iyengar Yoga Learning Sanskrit Letting Go Lotus Pose Mantras Meditation Meditation For Beginners Meditation For Children Meditation For Sleep Mindful Exercises Moon Salutations Morning Yoga Namaste Om Mantra Partner Yoga Patañjali Pigeon Pose Pillars Of Yoga Practice Of Yoga Practicing Mindfulness Pranayama Prenatal Yoga Pyramid Pose Quick Yoga Sequence Restorative Yoga Selfless Service Setting An Intention Seva Shoulder Openers Significance Of Namaste Styles Of Yoga Sun Salutations Surya Namaskar A Traveling Yogi Types Of Yoga Uddiyana Bandha Ujjayi Breathing Vacation Wrist Pain Yama And Niyama Yin Yoga Yin Yoga Poses Yoga And Meditation Yoga Asanas Yoga At Work Yoga Benefits Yoga Blocks Yoga Breathing Yoga Class Yoga Diet Yoga Etiquette Yoga Exercise Yoga FAQ Yoga For Abs Yoga For A Cold Yoga For Adrenal Fatigue Yoga For Arms Yoga For Arthritis Yoga For Babies Yoga For Baby Yoga For Baby Boomers Yoga For Back Pain Yoga For Beginners Yoga For Better Posture Yoga For Computer Users Yoga For Core Yoga For Fertility Yoga For Glowing Skin Yoga For Hamstrings Yoga For Health Yoga For Heartburn Yoga For Insomnia Yoga For Kids Yoga For Lower Blood Pressure Yoga For Men Yoga For New Parents Yoga For Pain Yoga For Seniors Yoga For Shoulders Yoga For Spine Yoga For Stress Yoga For Stress Relief Yoga For The Ankles Yoga For Two Yoga For Winter Yoga For Women Yoga For Wrist Pain Yoga For Wrists Yoga Injuries Yoga Inspiration Yoga Inversions Yoga Lifestyle Yoga Mats Yoga Nidra Yoga Poses Yoga Poses For Beginners Yoga Poses For Men Yoga Principles Yoga Questions Yoga Quotes Yoga Retreats Yoga Sequence Yoga & Spirituality Yoga Sutras Yoga Teacher Yoga Tips Yoga To Relax Yoga Travel Yogic Lifestyle