Marjaryasana/Bitilasana (Cat/Cow pose) is a combination of two yoga poses that gently stretch and warm up your spine. The Sankrit name for cat cow pose is Marjaiasana. Marjay meaning cat and Bitil meaning cow (asana meaning pose). Cat/Cow pose consists of moving the spine from a rounded position to an arched position. Hence Cat/Cow pose is good for the spine. It’s a basic motions but it is enormously beneficial in preventing back pain and maintaining a healthy spine. Bringing movement and flexibility to your spine helps your body to become more coordinated. Try a few slow rounds of Cat-Cow when you wake in the morning, before bed, or after sitting for a long period. You may notice yourself walking taller throughout the day! 😊
How To Perform Cat-Cow Pose:
1. Start on the ground with a neutral spine in table-top position with your knees and hands on the floor. Your knees should be hip distance apart in line with your hips and your arms should be straightened and in line with your shoulders. Keep your head in line with your body and either close your eyes or gaze towards the ground.
2. Take an inhale while in this neutral spine position and then slowly exhale your breath while rounding your spine towards the sky, keeping your hands and knees where they are.
3. As you round your spine you will gently release your head towards the ground while making sure not to tense your neck. Engage your lower core muscles and really try to bring your tailbone towards the center of your body while rounding your back as high as you can.
4. Once you have released your entire breath in Cat Pose start to inhale deeply while dropping your belly towards the ground.
5. Begin to arch your back and lift your chest towards the sky keeping your neck in line with your spine. Release your lower belly to the ground while actively lifting your tailbone to the sky.
6. After a full inhale while in Cow Pose, start to slowly exhale your breath and move through to Cat Pose once again. Continue through the Cat-Cow sequence as many times as you need, maintaining a slow and steady breath the entire time.
All 108 In Yoga 20 Minute Yoga Practice 30 Minute Sequence 30-minute Sequence 45 Minute Yin Yoga 8 Limbs Of Yoga Acroyoga Advanced Yoga Poses Arm Balances Ashtanga Yoga Ayurveda Baby Boomer Yoga Balancing Yoga Poses Bandhas Beginner Yoga Beginner Yoga Poses Bhakti Yoga B.K.S. Iyengar Breathing In Yoga Chakras Chants Dosha Evening Yoga Practice Gentle Yoga Hatha Yoga Hatha Yoga Sequence Hip Openers History Of Yoga Holiday Yoga Poses Home Yoga Inner Peace Insomnia Intense Side Stretch Pose Intermediate Yoga Poses Iyengar Quotes Iyengar Yoga Learning Sanskrit Letting Go Lotus Pose Mantras Meditation Meditation For Beginners Meditation For Children Meditation For Sleep Mindful Exercises Moon Salutations Morning Yoga Namaste Om Mantra Partner Yoga Patañjali Pigeon Pose Pillars Of Yoga Practice Of Yoga Practicing Mindfulness Pranayama Prenatal Yoga Pyramid Pose Restorative Yoga Setting An Intention Shoulder Openers Significance Of Namaste Styles Of Yoga Sun Salutations Surya Namaskar A Traveling Yogi Types Of Yoga Uddiyana Bandha Ujjayi Breathing Vacation Wrist Pain Yama And Niyama Yin Yoga Yin Yoga Poses Yoga And Meditation Yoga At Work Yoga Benefits Yoga Blocks Yoga Breathing Yoga Class Yoga Diet Yoga Etiquette Yoga Exercise Yoga FAQ Yoga For Abs Yoga For A Cold Yoga For Adrenal Fatigue Yoga For Arms Yoga For Arthritis Yoga For Babies Yoga For Baby Yoga For Baby Boomers Yoga For Back Pain Yoga For Beginners Yoga For Better Posture Yoga For Computer Users Yoga For Core Yoga For Fertility Yoga For Glowing Skin Yoga For Hamstrings Yoga For Health Yoga For Heartburn Yoga For Insomnia Yoga For Kids Yoga For Lower Blood Pressure Yoga For Men Yoga For New Parents Yoga For Pain Yoga For Seniors Yoga For Shoulders Yoga For Spine Yoga For Stress Yoga For Stress Relief Yoga For The Ankles Yoga For Two Yoga For Women Yoga For Wrist Pain Yoga For Wrists Yoga Injuries Yoga Inspiration Yoga Inversions Yoga Lifestyle Yoga Mats Yoga Nidra Yoga Poses Yoga Poses For Beginners Yoga Poses For Men Yoga Questions Yoga Quotes Yoga Retreats Yoga Sequence Yoga & Spirituality Yoga Sutras Yoga Teacher Yoga Tips Yoga To Relax Yoga Travel Yogic Lifestyle